Sustainable Purchasing Policy
The Harrison Public Library strives to decrease its impact on the environment through sustainable and environmentally sound purchasing procedures. The Library shall take the following into consideration when making purchases, although this is not an exhaustive list:
- Recyclability of the items
- Packaging and whether the product contains or produces toxins
- Transportation distances and impacts for delivery of the items
- Ability for an item to be repaired or repurposed rather than re-purchasing
- The entire life cycle of a product, from manufacture through use and disposal
- The environmental practices of the vendors under consideration
Nothing in this policy shall prohibit the Library from considering a product or vendor that is more suitable for the intended use and/or available at a more competitive price that does not meet these aspirational standards.
Reviewed and approved by the Harrison Public Library Board of Trustees, 2/1/2023.