Laptop and Tablet Policy
The Library’s tablets and laptops may only be used in the Library. Removal of a Library tablet or laptop from the Library will be considered theft. All applicable laws will apply.
- Only Westchester Library System cardholders may borrow a tablet or laptop.
- The borrower must present either: A) a valid driver’s license; or B) another form of valid photo I.D. The I.D. will be held, with the borrower’s library card, at the Circulation Desk until the tablet or laptop is checked back in by Library staff.
Loan Period and Availability
- Tablets and Laptops can be checked out from the Circulation Desk for 2 hours.
- Tablet and Laptop lending will end one hour before the Library closes. Tablet or Laptop must be returned 30 minutes before closing.
- Tablets and Laptops are available on a first-come, first-served basis and cannot be reserved.
- A cardholder may borrow only one tablet or laptop per day.
Late Fees and Liability
The borrower is financially liable for any lost, stolen or damaged tablet or laptop. Fines and fees for tablets and laptops will be processed the same as fines or fees for other library materials.
|For each hour or fraction thereof that the tablet or laptop is overdue. No grace period. No maximum fine.||$10.00|
|Lost or damaged power cord.||Replacement cost + $20 processing fee.|
|Damaged tablet or laptop.||Repair cost (up to replacement cost) + $20 processing fee.|
|Lost or stolen tablet or laptop. (If tablet or laptop was stolen, the borrower is responsible for submitting a police report to the Library Director.)||Replacement cost + $20 processing fee|
Limitations on Tablet and Laptop Use
- Borrowers who wish to print from a tablet or laptop should consult a librarian at the Information Desk.
- The borrower must not leave the tablet or laptop unattended. If a borrower must leave for a short time, the tablet or laptop may be left with a staff member at the Circulation Desk with the understanding that the tablet’s or laptop’s check-in time will not be changed. If an unattended tablet or laptop is retrieved by a staff member the borrower’s tablet and laptop borrowing privileges will be suspended.
- A borrower’s files will be automatically erased from the laptop when it is shut down. Therefore, borrowers wanting to preserve their files should save them on a USB flash drive or e-mail the files to themselves.
- Library staff may not be available to provide technical support.
- The Library assumes no responsibility for any damage to Library users’ personal devices, software, files, and/or equipment. Tampering with Library equipment or attempting to access or modify the operating system or any other software or programming, including bypassing security functions, is prohibited.
- No filtering (blocking software) is used on these computers.
- The tablets and laptops may not be used to engage in illegal activities or to disturb other patrons. If asked to refrain, you must comply immediately. Failure to comply may result in loss of computer privileges.
- The Library adheres to the Westchester Library System Internet Use Policy, which is available at the Information Desk.