A Library laptop may only be used within 100 feet of the Library building from which it was borrowed. Taking a Library laptop farther than 100 feet from the Library building from which it was borrowed will be considered theft. All applicable laws will apply.
- Only Westchester Library System cardholders may borrow a laptop.
- The borrower must present either: A) a valid driver’s license; or B) another form of valid photo I.D. The I.D. will be held, with the borrower’s library card, at the Circulation Desk until the laptop is checked back in by Library staff.
Loan Period and Availability
- Laptops can be checked out from the Circulation Desk for 2 hours.
- Laptop lending will end one hour before the Library closes. The laptop must be returned 30 minutes before closing.
- Laptops are available on a first-come, first-served basis and cannot be reserved.
- A cardholder may borrow only one laptop per day.
Late Fees and Liability
The borrower is financially liable for any lost, stolen, or damaged laptop. Fines and fees for laptops will be processed the same as fines or fees for other Library materials.
|For each hour or fraction thereof that the laptop is overdue. No grace period. No maximum fine.||$10.00|
|Damaged laptop.||Repair cost (up to replacement cost) + $20 processing fee.|
|Lost or stolen laptop. (If the laptop was stolen, the borrower is responsible for submitting a police report to the Library Director.)||Replacement cost + $20 processing fee|
Limitations on Laptop Use
- Borrowers who wish to print from a laptop should consult a librarian at the Information Desk.
- The borrower must not leave the laptop unattended. If a borrower must leave for a short time, the laptop may be left with a staff member at the Circulation Desk with the understanding that the laptop’s check-in time will not be changed. If an unattended laptop is retrieved by a staff member, the borrower’s laptop borrowing privileges will be suspended.
- A borrower’s files will be automatically erased from the laptop when it is shut down. Therefore, borrowers wanting to preserve their files should save them on an external drive or e-mail the files to themselves.
- Library staff may not be available to provide technical support.
- The Library assumes no responsibility for any damage to Library users’ personal devices, software, files, and/or equipment. Tampering with Library equipment or attempting to access or modify the operating system or any other software or programming, including bypassing security functions, is prohibited.
- No filtering (e.g. blocking software) is used on these computers.
- The laptops may not be used to engage in illegal activities or to disturb other patrons. If asked to refrain, users must comply immediately. Failure to comply may result in the loss of computer privileges.
- The Library adheres to the Westchester Library System Internet Use Policy, which is available at the Information Desk.
Reviewed and approved by the Harrison Public Library Board of Trustees 8/7/2011. Revised 10/3/12, 7/8/2020.