Code of Conduct
The Harrison Public Library is committed to the health and safety of its staff and patrons. The Library Board of Trustees has adopted a COVID-19 Safety Plan which is posted on our website. Anyone who does not abide by the COVID-19 Safety Plan and the posted safety protocols may be asked to leave the Library.
The Harrison Public Library strives to provide a welcoming, safe, clean, and comfortable library experience for all. The Library will not deny or abridge service on the basis of race, gender, sexual orientation, age, or religion; on the basis of social, economic, or political status; or on the basis of mental, emotional, or physical condition.
These rules were adopted to ensure that the rights and privileges of all Library patrons are protected. By utilizing the Library’s services, patrons agree to refrain from:
- disrupting, harassing, or intimidating other Library patrons and the staff
- using obscene gestures or language
- making unwanted physical contact with other Library patrons and the staff
- damaging, defacing or stealing Library property
- taking or disturbing the personal property of others
- distributing or selling goods
- soliciting funds on Library premises without the approval of the Library Board of Trustees
- loitering or obstructing access to any part of the facilities
- possessing or being under the influence of alcohol or illegal drugs
- photographing or recording other patrons, programs, or the staff in a way that harasses or interferes with other patrons or the staff, or infringes the privacy of another patron
- soliciting or engaging in sexual activity, including indecent exposure
- possessing firearms, weapons, fireworks, or other dangerous materials on Library premises
- gambling or engaging in illegal activities of any kind on Library premises
In order to ensure a clean and safe community space, here are additional rules that Library patrons are expected to follow:
- Only trained assistance animals can be brought onto the premises.
- Patrons are expected to wear clothing, including a shirt and shoes, and maintain a reasonable level of personal hygiene.
- Littering, sleeping, and smoking (including smoking e-cigarettes) are prohibited on Library premises.
- Bicycles, scooters, skateboards, and skates are not allowed inside the Library. They must be left outside, away from the entrances.
- Patrons must leave any strollers in the designated stroller parking areas while attending any Children’s Program or while in the Children’s Rooms. Parents or caregivers may ask the Library staff to help park strollers.
PLEASE NOTE: The Harrison Public Library has specific policies dealing with Food and Beverages in the Library, the Children’s Rooms and Children in the Library, and the Use of Library Computers. In addition to the rules listed above, these policies are to be strictly adhered to. All of the Library’s policies are posted on its website, harrisonpl.org, and are available from the Library staff on request.
This Code of Conduct, along with other policies of the Harrison Public Library, is not intended to be a complete list of violations. The Library reserves the right to take action against any behavior which can reasonably be deemed offensive, disturbing, or disruptive to the staff or other patrons. If a patron’s behavior is subject to a court or administrative ruling, such ruling is deemed to be a part of the Library’s Code of Conduct for that patron.
The Library will seek full restitution for any damage to or theft of Harrison Public Library property or materials. The Library is not responsible for patrons’ personal property. The Library staff is authorized to expel any person who does not follow the above rules and to contact the police department if necessary.
Serious or repeated violations of any Library policy are also grounds for the suspension or termination of Library privileges or for prohibiting access to the Library premises. Library patrons whose privileges have been revoked will be notified in writing and will have the right to appeal the decision to the Harrison Public Library Board of Trustees.
Reviewed and approved by the Harrison Public Library Board of Trustees, 6/7/10. Revised 5/4/2015, 1/3/2018, 4/2/2018, 10/03/2018, 7/8/2020, 9/2/2020, 11/3/2021.