Business Insights: Essentials – Detailed company and industry news that includes profiles, company histories, brand information, rankings and investment reports.
Mergent Archives – Mergent Archives is an online database featuring a vast, indexed collection of more than a century’s worth of global corporate and industry related documents. This collection contains hundreds of thousands of reports covering over 100 countries and industries.
Mergent Intellect – Powered by Hoover’s™, a Dun & Bradstreet Solution, Mergent Intellect is a flexible web-based application that features a deep collection of worldwide business information that enables companies to generate insightful business intelligence.
Mergent Online – This state-of-the-art product provides Internet-based access to the most detailed, accurate and comprehensive global company database available.
Lynda.com – This website offers a video library of engaging, top-quality courses taught by recognized industry experts. Learn software, technology, creative and business skills to achieve your personal and professional goals. NOTE: If you don’t have a library card apply online.
Small Business Tutorials from Lynda.com:
- Creating a Business Plan with Mike Figliuolo (1h 12m, 9/17/2015)
- Entrepreneurship: Finding and Testing Your Business Idea with Dave Crenshaw (42m, 8/6/2018)
- Entrepreneurship: Raising Startup Capital with Rudolph Rosenberg (1h 44m, 12/19/2018)
- Finance Essentials for Small Business with Jim Stice (54m, 6/4/2018)
- Setting Up Your Small Business as a Legal Entity with Data Robinson (1h 5m, 3/6/2018)
- African American Chamber of Commerce, Westchester & Rockland Counties
- American Small Businesses Association
- BizMove.com: Small Business Knowledge Base
- Business Council of Westchester
- FindLaw for Small Business
- National Association for the Self-Employed
- New York State Small Business Development Center
- SCORE (Counselors to America’s Small Business)
- SIBL (Science, Industry, Business Library) NYPL
- Small Business Hub
- U.S. Government’s Official Business Link
- U.S. Small Business Administration
- WEDC (Women’s Enterprise Development Center)
- Westchester County Association, Inc.
- Westchester Export Assistance Center
- Westchester Hispanic Chamber of Commerce, Inc.
- Online Permit Assistance and Licensing
- NYS Department of State
- US Census Bureau
- American Factfinder
- County Business PatternsSmall Business Hub: A Research Guide for Entrepreneurs
Coronavirus Info for Small Businesses
U.S. Federal Government
Here’s a handy F.A.Q. article on Stimulus Checks, Unemployment and the Coronavirus Bill by the NY Times. NOTE: The NY Times is providing free coverage of the Coronavirus, all you have to do is create an account.
Small Business Administration
Paycheck Protection Program (PPP): The SBA resumed accepting Paycheck Protection Program applications from participating lenders on Monday, April 27, 2020 at 10:30am EDT. As of May 18, there are still $100 billion in funding available. The PPP is a loan designed to provide a direct incentive for small businesses to keep their workers on the payroll. SBA will forgive* loans if all employees are kept on the payroll for eight weeks and the money is used for payroll, rent, mortgage interest, or utilities. For more information please visit: sba.gov/paycheckprotection and click here for the SBA’s list of eligible lenders.
*The SBA and the U.S Department of the Treasury released the PPP Forgiveness Application and related instructions.
Paycheck Protection Program Materials Now Available in 17 Languages: The SBA is providing information on the Paycheck Protection Program and related materials in 17 languages other than English to help small business owners recover from the economic disruption caused by the Coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak.
SBA Programs – Scams and Fraud Alerts: The Office of Inspector General recognizes that we are facing unprecedented times and is alerting the public about potential fraud schemes related to the Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security (CARES) Act, the largest financial assistance bill to date, includes provisions to help small businesses. Small business owners are being targeted – be on the lookout for grant fraud, loan fraud, and phishing.
Economic Injury Disaster Loan (EIDL)-COVID-19: SBA has resumed processing EIDL applications that were submitted before the portal stopped accepting new applications on April 15 and will be processing these applications on a first-come, first-served basis. SBA will begin accepting new Economic Injury Disaster Loan (EIDL) and EIDL Advance applications on a limited basis only to provide relief to U.S. agricultural businesses.
Agricultural businesses include those businesses engaged in the production of food and fiber, ranching, and raising of livestock, aquaculture, and all other farming and agricultural related industries (as defined by section 18(b) of the Small Business Act (15 U.S.C. 647(b)). SBA is encouraging all eligible agricultural businesses with 500 or fewer employees wishing to apply to begin preparing their business financial information needed for their application.
If you have already applied and want to verify your status, please call the SBA directly at (800)-659‐2955.
Treasury and Customs & Border Patrol Announce Deferment of Duties and Fees for Certain Importers During COVID-19 Response. An April 19, 2020 Executive Order allows for a 90-day extension to pay certain U.S. Customs duties for importers impacted by COVID-19.
The Federal Reserve has announced that it is establishing a Main Street Lending Program to support lending to small and medium-sized businesses that were in sound financial condition before the onset of the COVID-19 pandemic.
Internal Revenue Service
- Taxpayer Assistance Center Closure Statement
- Filing and Payment Deadline Extended to July 15, 2020 – Updated Statement
- Notice 2020-18 (PDF), Relief for Taxpayers Affected by Ongoing Coronavirus Disease 2019 Pandemic
- Notice 2020-17 (PDF), Relief for Taxpayers Affected by Ongoing Coronavirus Disease 2019 Pandemic
- Notice 2020-15 (PDF), High deductible health plans and expenses related to COVID-19
- Free File – prepare and file your federal income tax return for free using tax preparation and filing software.
- Where’s My Refund? – is an online tool that will track your tax refund. You will need your Social security number or ITIN, your filing status and your exact refund amount to use the tool.
- Online Payment Agreements – you can apply for a payment plan online to pay off your balance over time.
- IRS2Go mobile app – Check your refund status, make a payment, find free tax preparation assistance, sign up for helpful tax tips, and more!
- Online Account – use this tool to view: Your payoff amount, updated for the current calendar day, the balance for each tax year for which you owe, up to 24 months of your payment history and key information from your current tax year return as originally filed.
NY State Government
- Questions about any topic: submit them here
- Strictly BUSINESS questions: submit them here
- COVID-19 testing locations: NYS Department of Health and New York City
- NY State offered loans through the U.S. Small Business Administration. Please see the U.S. Federal Government section above for more information as the funds for the loans are now exhausted.
Empire State Development Corporation
- Coronavirus FAQ for Businesses
- Guidance on Executive Order 202.6 -This guidance is issued by the New York State Department of Economic Development d/b/a Empire State Development (ESD) and applies to each business location individually and is intended to assist businesses in determining whether they are an essential business.
- New York Forward Loan Fund is an Empire State Development loan program for New York State small businesses with 20 or fewer FTEs, nonprofits and small landlords during the COVID-19 period. These loans are intended for businesses which did not receive funds from either of the U.S. SBA relief programs, the Payroll Protection Program or the Economic Injury Disaster Loan. The loans must be paid back within a five year period with interest.
Producing COVID-19 Products for NYS
- Governor Cuomo has called on businesses to produce needed supplies related to COVID-19. If you are a manufacturing business, please send email to COVID19supplies@esd.ny.gov You will need to provide details on what you can manufacture, daily output levels that can be expected, how long it will take you to switch over to pressing demands, and contact information so someone can get back to you.
Unemployment – Pandemic Unemployment Assistance (PUA) NYS Department of Labor launches new streamlined application for New Yorkers to apply for Pandemic Unemployment Assistance without having to first apply for unemployment insurance.
Are you starting a small business? Would you like help with existing business issues? Take advantage of our library’s partnership with the nonprofit organization SCORE, and receive one-on-one business counseling. Counselors are available to offer guidance and answer questions every Wednesday. Please sign up for this program online.
Propose a Program at the Library
The Harrison Public Library welcomes partnerships with the local business community. Program proposals will be reviewed based on how it supports the mission of the library and the potential benefits to library patrons and our community.