History of the Harrison Public Library

The Library known today as the Harrison Public Library has provided service to Harrison and Westchester County residents for over one hundred years. Founded in 1905 as the Harrison Free Reading Room, the Library was chartered as the Harrison Public Library in 1955. In 1967, the official merger of the Harrison Public Library with the Silver Lake Free Library resulted in the incorporation of what we know today as the Harrison Public Library and its West Harrison Branch.

In 1985, the Downtown Main (Bruce Avenue) Library was renovated and expanded, with the Community Room added at that time. In 1989 the Library became the pilot library for the WESTLYNX integrated automated system. The Library has been providing Internet service to the public since 1996, and in 2005 wireless Internet service was provided in both Library buildings. In 1999 the New York State Library recognized the Harrison Public Library as an Advanced Electronic Doorway Library.